Day One – Bilateral Bunion Surgery…

So the morning started rather apprehensively. I jumped out of bed with a start at 04h30 realising it was D-Day and there was no getting out of it. I had a quick shower and shave realising this was going to be my last shower for who knows how long. We rushed to the hospital in the nick of time and I was admitted and directed to my ward to be prepped for surgery. I simply must commend Vincent Pallotti Hospital for its impeccable surroundings, cleanliness and ever so friendly staff. They made me feel right at home. I was scheduled to go in at eight and as I was wheeled into theatre, all sorts of terrifying thoughts were flashing in my mind. All I wanted to do was jump out of the bed and run for the hills like Zola Budd. But alas, my hopes were dashed when the Anaesthetist appeared to insert the drip. He struggled to find a proper vein and had to do this twice before he was successful. I abhor needles so much so that I needed to close my eyes and imagine myself in beautiful surroundings and had to transport myself to my favourite Beach…  and before I knew it, the drip was in. He said he was going to give me something to calm me down whilst wheeling me into surgery. When I was positioned in theatre ready to be operated on, I was already in la-la land:).

The procedure took about two hours and was over before I knew it. When I awoke, ever so dizzy,  I could not believe how quick time had flown. All the evidence I could find was the sight of my two fat feet which was dipped in plaster of paris, bandaged up with only my toes showing. They looked awfully disfigured and felt completely numb from the anaesthetic. I slept most the day slipping in and out of consciousness. When I eventually came to, the nurse showed me how to use the morphine pump, which when pressed, had me floating high on a cloud, DELICIOUS is all I can say. When I finally made it back to reality I was utterly ravenous for I had not eaten since the previous night. The menu at the hospital is delectable with lovely home cooked meals, which was rather tasty and not forgetting those scrumptious desserts… what more did I need? I can already see myself picking up two kilograms whilst confined to this hospital!

The only bummer is that I cannot go to the loo or bath myself!!! I have never had to depend on others for assistance before. My drip consisted of water with salt, glucose to keep up my strength which made me wee all the time, not cool at all!!! Having a bath in bed took about an hour, it felt like I had ran 5 kilometres, it was so exhausting – who knew!!! But when I was in my PJ’s and had sparkling clean teeth, I was a happy camper again. Neil stayed with me most of the day, still carting the girls to and fro from school. He’s my rock, the one person who I can truly depend on to get things done and calm my nerves. A true blessing in my life. When my girls came by to see me in the evening I was filled with happiness and boundless love for they complete my life just being in their delightful company.

So today’s been a very eventful day, I’m truly happy the operation was a success thanks to my brilliant Doctor, Craig Hastings for his specialised expertise and care. My heartfelt thanks to all my family and friends for the good wishes, prayers and support during this time – it was wholeheartedly appreciated and helped me through this trying time.

A special thank you to all who are following and tracking my progress. God bless everyone till the next entry.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s